– Al-Mourabitoun: armed group and terrorist organization linked to AQIM (Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb).
– Ansar al-Dine: part of the JNIM (Jama’at Nasr al-Islam wal Muslimin) coallition and salafist extremist islamic group based in Mali.
– Ansarul islam: Burkinabè djihadist armed group, supported by the katiba Macina that has cooperated closely with the JNIM.
– AQ: Al-Qaeda
– AQIM: Al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb
– Azawad: Malian zone located north of the Niger River and located between Mauritania and Algeria.
– CIPLEV: Committee on Preventing and Combating Violent Extremism
– CISC: The Collective Against Impunity and Stigmatization of Communities
– (CMA) CAM: Coordination of Azawad Movements
– CM-FPR: Coordination of the Movements of Patriotic and Resistance Fronts
– DAECH/DAESH: ad-dawla al-islāmiyya fi-l-ʿirāq wa-š-šām (Islamic State in Irak and Syria)
– Dan Na Ambassagou: Ethnic self-defence militia of Dogon hunters founded in 2016 in Mali.
– FAMa: Malian Armed Forces
– FAB: Beninese Armed Forces
– FLM: Macina Liberation Front
– GARSI: Rapid Action Groups – Monitoring and intervention in the Sahel.
– GATIA: Imghad Tuareg Self-Defence Group and Allies
– GRIP: Group of Research and Information on Peace and security
– GSIM: Group for the Support of Islam and Muslims
– HCUA: High Council for the Unity of Azawad
– ICG (International Crisis Group): Non-profit NGO working to prevent conflicts around the world.
– IED: Improvised Explosive Device(s)
– ISGS: Islamic State in the Greater Sahara
– ISIS: Islamic State in Irak and Syria
– ISWAP: Islamic State West Africa Province
– JNIM: Jama’at Nasr al-Islam wa al Muslimin
– MAA: Arab Movement of Azawad
– MINUSMA: United Nations Multidimensional Integrated Stabilization Mission in Mali
– MNLA: National Movement for the Liberation of Azawad
– MONUC: United Nations Observer Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo
– MUJWA (MUJAO): Movement for Unity and Jihad in Western Africa
– MSA: Azawad Salvation Movement (The Movement for the Salvation of Azawad)
– Polisario Front: Independence movement operating in Western Sahara
– PMC: Private Military Company
– TAA: Togolese Air Force
– TAF: Togolese Armed Forces
– Triple point junction (Point triple): border area between Benin, Burkina Faso and Niger
– UAM: Unidentified Armed Men
– VDP: Volunteers for the Defense of the Homeland
– The Wagner group: private company of Russian mercenaries that has started its activities in the Central African Republic in 2018 and in Mali in 2021.